Barnes & Noble Announces a Month-Long Celebration of Pop Culture at Stores Nationwide in July
Second Annual “Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble™” to Feature Unique Special Events, Author Appearances, Exclusive Content, Giveaways and More
Highlights Include Throwback Thursdays, Time Travel Weekend, DC Comics Days, Comic Convention Collectibles, a Harper Lee Celebration, Minions Fun, Fangirl Friday, Vinyl Day, a Dr. Seuss Spectacular and Much More
New York, New York – June 24, 2015 – Barnes & Noble, Inc.(NYSE: BKS), the nation’s largest retail bookseller and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced the second annual Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble, a month-long celebration of pop culture with special events customers won’t want to miss. Building off the success of last year’s campaign, this year’s Get Pop-Cultured celebration will feature a series of 20 very exciting events and activities perfect for the whole family to enjoy, in addition to author signings, panel discussions, contests, exclusive content, giveaways and prizes, and more.
Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble was first established in 2014 to bring to life customers’ favorite books, characters, movies, artists, illustrators and pop-culture icons. This year it expands to feature an even more robust lineup of events great for customers of all ages, including weekly Throwback Thursdays celebrating a different decade each Thursday from the 1950s through the 1990s, DC Comics Days, a Harper Lee Celebration, a Minions Fun event, Star Wars Saturday, Manga Mania, Fangirl Friday, Vinyl Day, James Patterson Day, a Dr. Seuss Spectacular and many more unique events and promotions. For more information on what’s happening during Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble month, customers can visit their local Barnes & Noble store or www.bn.com/getpop-cultured.
“The team at Barnes & Noble is so excited to celebrate pop culture with our customers this July and we’ve created a unique series of events spanning all areas of pop culture,” said Mary Amicucci, Vice President, Adult Trade and Children’s Books at Barnes & Noble. “Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble was a huge success last year and we’ve expanded it to highlight key themes, properties and products like the Throwback Thursdays, Minions, Star Wars, manga and vinyl records, while also celebrating the biggest books of the summer including the recently discovered and highly anticipated Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee and What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss.”
Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble Lineup:
- Throwback Thursdays – July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
The cornerstone of the Get Pop-Cultured campaign, customers are invited to their local Barnes & Noble store every Thursday in July for a nostalgic journey through the most iconic moments in pop culture from the 1950s through the 1990s. Customers will experience the decades as they explore the dynamic influence that books, toys, games, music, movies, TV and fashion had on society during those time periods. Stores will feature a specially crafted display wall containing fun facts, images, products and more that influenced each decade and brings them back to life. The display wall changes weekly for each new decade and is perfect for taking pictures to share on social media, using the hashtags #TBT and #GetPopCultured. Celebrate the 1950s on July 2, the 1960s on July 9, the 1970s on July 16, the 1980s on July 23, and the 1990s on July 30. Special offers, giveaways, and events and activities each Thursday will round out the fun.
- Time Travel Weekend – July 3-5
Designed to take customers on a journey through time, Time Travel Weekend will transport fans into the intriguing worlds of the following:
- Doctor WhoOn July 3 at 7pm, Barnes & Noble is celebrating Doctor Who. Customers will enjoy trivia, giveaways, a special offer and more, and are invited to come dressed as their favorite character.
- Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark On July 4 at 10am, customers will travel back millions of years with Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark. Young paleontologists are invited to explore the age of dinosaurs with fun activities, giveaways and a special offer.
- OutlanderOn July 5 at 2pm, customers will be transported to the intriguing world of the popular Outlander series with trivia, giveaways and more.
- DC Comics Days – July 8-12
Customers are invited for a special offer on all DC Comics graphic novels and a free Young Gotham comic collection and poster, while supplies last. There will be other giveaways and activities, and as always during Get Pop-Cultured, cosplay is welcome.
- Comic Convention Collectibles – July 9-12Customers can visit their local Barnes & Noble to get the highly anticipated convention exclusives representing some of the hottest licenses, including fan favorites, while supplies last. Customers should get to Barnes & Noble early on July 9 as many of these collectibles will sell out fast!
- Harper Lee Celebration – July 13-14On July 13, all Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will read Harper Lee’s classic To Kill a Mockingbird from start to finish. The Read-A-Thon will feature a variety of special guest readers, including local authors or celebrities. On July 14, Harper Lee’s highly anticipated new novel, Go Set a Watchman, goes on sale. Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will open early at 7am so customers can get their copy first, and those who visit the Barnes & Noble Café from 7am to 10am will get a free tall hot coffee with their purchase of Go Set a Watchman. Plus, the first 20 customers to buy the book in every store will receive a free exclusive To Kill a Mockingbird reusable tote.
- Minions Fun – July 17 at 7pmCustomers are invited to sign up now for the Minions Fun event and become a certified Minion and attend Villain-Con in Barnes & Noble stores, where they will search for the most despicable villain to follow. Activities and giveaways will round out the fun. Customers can contact their local store to sign up today.
- Star Wars Saturday – July 18Star Wars fans of all ages are invited to Barnes & Noble for exclusive products, activities, cosplay, trivia and a chance to win a Star Wars character standee (terms & conditions apply). Customers should contact their local Barnes & Noble for complete details.
- Manga Mania – July 19Customers can visit their local Barnes & Noble to discover this popular style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels. Manga Mania will feature a special offer, activities, and giveaways.
- Fangirl Friday – July 24 at 7 pmBarnes & Noble is inviting fangirls to unite and celebrate fandom. Fangirls should visit their local store to get introduced to the Women of Marvel, enjoy cosplay, giveaways and much more. Additionally, while supplies last, customers can pick up the Vinyl Vixen Metallic Wonder Woman, available only at Barnes & Noble.
- Vinyl Day – July 25Fans of vinyl records can explore Barnes & Noble’s growing assortment and participate in events celebrating vinyl culture, including giveaways, special offers and exclusives.
- James Patterson Day – July 26
Customers are invited to Barnes & Noble to celebrate America’s bestselling author with a special one-day-only offer on all adult, kids’, and teen books by James Patterson.
- Dr. Seuss Spectacular – July 28 at 7 pm and July 31 at 7 pmIn celebration of the newly discovered Dr. Seuss book What Pet Should I Get?, kids of all ages are invited to help Barnes & Noble decide what pet to get at a special Storytime event on July 28 at 7pm. Get Pop-Cultured ends on a high note on July 31 at 7pm with a Dr. Seuss Spectacular, a celebration of Theodor Seuss Geisel, known to the world as the beloved Dr. Seuss. There’s fun to be done before Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble comes to an end!
More ways to Get Pop-Cultured include:
- Authors, Illustrators, Celebrities and MoreThroughout the Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble campaign, stores across the country will welcome customers’ favorite authors, illustrators and celebrities, including Arlene & Alan Alda, Keegan Allen, Gretchen Carlson, Chris Colfer, Chuck D, Rob “Gronk” Gronkowski, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Mary McDonough, Christopher Paolini, James Patterson, Kate Pierson, Joe Satriani, Brad Thor, Cindy Williams, Charlie Wilson and many more. Customers should contact their local Barnes & Noble store to find out which authors will be appearing there during Get Pop-Cultured.
Get Pop-Cultured Sweepstakes from NOOK®
At all Get Pop-Cultured events and throughout the month of July, customers can visit the NOOK Counter to enter for a chance to win a $1,000 Barnes & Noble Gift Card. To enter, customers can visit the NOOK Boutique® at their local Barnes & Noble store anytime between July 1 and July 31, where they should look for the specially created Get Pop-Cultured NOOK App™ on the NOOK devices displayed.
Get Pop-Cultured Giveaways and Exclusives
Throughout July, Barnes & Noble will have tons of giveaways at all stores, including samplers and posters from DC Comics’ Young Gotham series, as well as Marvel, Star Wars and Manga posters, and much more. All giveaway items are available in limited quantities; for more information visit any Barnes & Noble store. In addition, Barnes & Noble will have a large offering of exclusive products and items during Get Pop-Cultured, including exclusive book editions during Throwback Thursdays, Comic Convention collectibles, select vinyl records and more. For more information, visit www.bn.com/getpop-cultured.
Get Pop-Cultured on Social Media
Pop culture fans should follow Barnes & Noble on Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and like Barnes & Noble on Facebook for the very latest information on Get Pop-Cultured with Barnes & Noble, including announcements about upcoming events and promotions. Pop culture fans can also follow NOOK on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Instagram.
Barnes & Noble will be announcing many more events, including exciting author appearances and signings, as well as giveaways and exclusive content and products, throughout the Get Pop-Cultured month. For a full schedule of local events and author appearances, and for more details regarding giveaways, competitions and sweepstakes, visit www.bn.com/getpop-cultured.