Love him or hate him, the Joker is Batman’s premiere enemy, appearing to taunt the Dark Knight in every incarnation, no matter what media. Warner Bro’s first R-rated entry in the Batman animated films takes on the most well-known of the Joker tales: The Killing Joke. Famous for its portrayal of the battle of minds between Batman and the Joker and infamous for its use of Barbara Gordon as a pawn in the tale, this graphic novel is one of the best-selling graphic novels of all time.
Batman: The Kiling Joke gives Joker’s biography from his beginnings as a small-time comedian to his emergence as a full-fledged madman. Leaving through Arkham Asylum’s revolving door, the Joker sets out to prove that anyone can be as crazed as he: All it takes is one bad day. The man he has targeted for his experiment? Commissioner Gordon, whose family ends up in the Clown Prince’s sites as well.
Warner Bros. has taken care to respect the original graphic novel, using a script by Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Azzarello. Bruce Timm and Sam Register are executive producers, and Mark Hamill returns to voice the Joker, complete with the demented laugh he has perfected. Kevin Conroy continues to voice Batman/Bruce Wayne. Tara Strong voices Barbara Gordon and Ray Wise stars as Commissioner Gordon.
Batman: The Killing Joke is available now for pre-order.
Additional features include:
Blu-ray™ Combo Pack
- An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie..
- Featurette – “Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music” – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
- Featurette – “Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke” – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come. Combined with the graphic novel’s original script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style. We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
- From the DC Comics Vault– Two 22-minute episodes:
- The New Batman Adventures – “Old Wounds”
- Batman: The Animated Series – “Christmas with The Joker”
Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition
- All of the above
- An Exclusive Limited Edition The Joker Figurine
Batman: The Killing Joke will be available on Blu-rayTM Deluxe Edition for $29.96 SRP, Blu-rayTM Combo Pack for $24.98 SRP, and DVD for $19.98 SRP. The Blu-rayTM Combo Pack includes a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet. The Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition will include all components of the Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack, along with an exclusive figurine of The Joker in a numbered, limited edition gift set.
Fans can also own Batman: The Killing Joke on Digital HD on July 26, 2016 via purchase from digital retailers.