Who among us hasn’t found themselves talking like a whale after watching the loveable Dory do it in Finding Nemo? Now with Finding Dory on its way, Disney and Pixar are teaming up to get us all to spend June 11th speaking like a whale!
“When ‘Finding Dory’ was just starting to come together, we realized we didn’t know much about this blue tang with the sunny personality,” said director Andrew Stanton. “Dory’s past became the subject of great curiosity—both for us as storytellers and for everyone who’d fallen in love with her.
“We had very few clues to go on,” continued Stanton. “We knew she’d been separated from her family, we knew she suffered from short-term memory loss, we knew she could read, and we knew she could speak whale—or at least she thought she could.”
Here are the ways that Disney and Pixar are celebrating and how you can also:
-Fans are encouraged to take part in Speak Like a Whale Day by speaking whale wherever they go, uploading videos of themselves and tagging #SpeakLikeAWhaleDay.
· Guests of the theme parks at Disneyland Resort in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney Cruise Line ships will receive a complimentary button to celebrate the day, while supplies last.
· At the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort, families can dive into undersea themed activities, including a live DJ, games and giveaways. Also throughout the day, young guests can attend “Whale Speak University” and give speaking the language a try.
· At The Seas with Nemo & Friends in Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort, Guests can learn about the real-life counterparts of the characters from the film and see them in the massive 5.7-million-gallon saltwater aquarium home. Experts from Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment Team will be on hand throughout the day to help Guests find Dory and her friends and get a closer look at their world.
· Dory and some of her new friends from Disney•Pixar’s “Finding Dory” have joined Crush at the Turtle Talk with Crush attraction at Epcot and Disney California Adventure park. Guests can now meet Destiny, Bailey and Hank.
· Select theater chains will give away buttons during Speak Like a Whale Day, while supplies last. Participating chains include Goodrich Quality Theatres, Marcus Theatres, Megaplex Theatres and National Amusements.
Finding Dory comes to theaters June 17th.