Image Comics and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBDLF) have teamed up for the creation of the 2016 Liberty Annual, coming this November. The annual will ship out on the eve of this very contested U.S. Election. It acts as an optimistic look at the people who have made change in our world and celebrates our difference.
“Our mission was to create a comic that is an honest tonic to the overwhelming negativity that defines our current cultural climate,” said CBLDF Executive Director and LIBERTY ANNUAL 2016 co-editor Charles Brownstein. “With the creators in this book, we worked to inspire readers by telling true stories of people who made a difference in the world and who celebrate how each of us can be the change we want to make.”
The annual covers everything from ordinary citizens who took a stand, to suffragettes, and sports legends. Her are some of the subjects brought to life by an incredible team of creators:
· Muhammad Ali by Paul Pope (Battling Boy)
· Louise Michel by Bryan and Mary Talbot (The Red Virgin)
· Gene Roddenberry by Dan Schkade (The Spirit)
· Jim Haynes by Joe Keatinge (SHUTTER) and Ken Niimura (I KILL GIANTS)
· Leo Burnett by Larry Marder (Beanworld) and Shannon Wheeler (God Is Disappointed in You)
· Ida Wells by Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett (Boilerplate)
· Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges by Ron Wimberly (PRINCE OF CATS)
· Elizabeth Woodhull by Andrew Aydin (March) and Tim Fielder (Matty’s Rocket)
· Jane Addams by M.K. Reed (Americus) and Lisa Rosalie Eisenberg
Proceeds from this anthology support the Comic Book Legal Defense fund and their work protecting the freedom to read. Look for it this November.